The Potting Shed Redo

Another beautiful day here at Riverwood Farm.

I collected a package of bulbs yesterday so will be sorting and bagging them up for sale shortly.  The weather has been good so I've been working on the potting shed.

I was only going to do a tidy-up and put up shelves, but once I got started I decided to gut the whole shed and do the winter clean early, and then redo the layout to better suit how I work.  It took me most of yesterday afternoon to get everything out and stored and to take out the benches I was using.  Needless to say, I got absolutely filthy and was mighty glad to call it a day.

This morning, I took out the remaining shelves, brackets and nails and then brushed the whole lot down.  The old rubber matting went onto the rubbish pile and my bin was filled with dust, mouse poo, cobwebs, dead leaves and spilled potting mix.  My winter clean usually means a tidy up, cleaning as I go with a tea-tree spray and then putting everything back pretty much where it came from.  Not this time!  I had an empty shed and everything got sprayed with diluted tea-tree.  It's definitely smelling better anyway.

I now had a blank canvas - an empty shed with endless possibilities!  What to do with this gift of space? I asked myself.  Well I went on the hunt for a suitable bit of timber for a bench and found the (almost) perfect piece of used formply.  Cut to the right size, bit of clean up and filler, lick of paint and bingo - new bench.

Of course, I've changed the layout to allow for loads and loads of shelves - just have to find some more bits of timber for those.  I saw a post on Pinterest for a jumbo peg board setup and may give that a go.  A narrow wall will hold pegs to hang tools so that I'm not constantly having to move them from behind doors or tripping over them.

Now I should tell you that this is not the prettiest shed in the world.  It's fairly basic actually - Timber frame, skillon roof and colourbond cladding.  It does however, have a timber window that overlooks the garden and a concrete slab.  I could paint the inside but honestly, I can't be bothered; plus I really want to get this done so that I can get to work potting up my recently-arrived plants.

It's now drying out, the window is clean and I'm feeling quite satisfied with my day's work.  I'll put the bench in tomorrow and find some shelving timber then I can get back in there and get some plant-related work done.  Now I have to get the washing in, tidy up the kitchen and make dinner before settling in with Dirk (who has been cutting wood all day) to watch a movie.

Stay safe.  Mel.

The sweet peas are still going!





Comments

Popular Posts